If you have a stucco home, then you know that cracks are inevitable. Over time, the stucco will shift and move, which can cause cracks to form. If these cracks are not repaired promptly, they can lead to water damage and even structural problems. This post will discuss the many benefits of prompt stucco crack repair.
What Is Stucco?
Stucco is a type of plaster that is made from cement, sand, and water. It is a popular choice for homes in warm climates because it is very durable and has good insulating properties.
Stucco is applied to the outside of homes in a thick layer. Once it dries, it forms a hard surface that is resistant to fire and pests. Over time, however, stucco can crack due to settling or shifting of the foundation, changes in temperature, or just normal wear and tear.
Stucco repair is not a difficult or expensive process, but it is important to do it promptly to avoid further damage.
Types of Stucco Cracks
There are three main types of stucco cracks:
- Hairline cracks: These are the most common type of stucco crack. They are usually caused by shrinkage as the stucco dries. Hairline cracks are not a structural concern and can be easily repaired.
- Structural cracks: These cracks are more serious because they can affect the stability of your home. Structural cracks are often caused by foundation problems or settlement. If you have a structural crack in your stucco, it is important to have it repaired by a professional as soon as possible.
- Water damage: Cracks that are caused by water damage are usually larger and more evident than other types of stucco cracks. Water can enter through the crack and cause problems with surrounding stucco, wood, and insulation. If you have a water damage crack in your stucco, it is important to have it repaired right away to prevent further damage.
The Benefits of Prompt Stucco Crack Repair
There are several benefits to having your stucco cracks repaired promptly:
Prevent Water Damage
Water damage is one of the most common problems associated with cracks in stucco. Water can seep into the cracks and cause the underlying wood to rot, which can lead to serious structural damage.
When water damage occurs, your health is also at risk, as mold and mildew can grow in damp, dark areas. These can cause respiratory problems, skin irritation, and other health issues.
Prevent Insect Infestation
Another common problem associated with cracks in stucco is insect infestation. Cracks provide a perfect hiding place for pests, and if left unrepaired, they can quickly become a serious problem.
Insects not only cause damage to your exterior stucco, but they can also pose a health risk to you and your family. In addition, interior furniture durability can be at risk if insects are present.
Maintain the Aesthetic of Your Home
In addition to the functional benefits of prompt stucco crack repair, there’s also the aesthetic benefit. Cracks in your stucco can make your home look unkempt and neglected. The existing texture, color, and overall appearance of your stucco can also be affected by cracks.
By repairing the cracks, you can help maintain the curb appeal of your home and keep it looking its best. When you notice a crack in your stucco surface, don’t wait to have it repaired. The sooner you have it fixed, the better off you’ll be.
Save Money in the Long Run
Another benefit of prompt stucco crack repair is that it can save you money in the long run. Here are a few tips to help you save money on stucco crack repairs:
- Schedule an inspection: Have a professional come out and take a look at your stucco. They will be able to spot any cracks that are starting to form and can advise you on the best course of action.
- Repair small cracks promptly: If you do spot a small crack, don’t wait to have it repaired. The sooner you take care of it, the less damage will be done, and the less expensive the repair will be.
- Use high-quality materials: When you do need to make repairs, use high-quality materials. This may cost a bit more upfront, but it will save you money in the long run because the repairs will last longer.
If you follow these tips, you can save yourself a lot of money. Prompt stucco crack repair is definitely worth the investment.
Protect Your Investment
Your home is likely one of the biggest investments you’ll ever make. Maintaining its value should be a priority for any homeowner, so prompt stucco crack repair is important.
Stucco is a durable material, but it’s not indestructible. Cracks can form for a variety of reasons, including settlement, expansion and contraction, water damage, and impact.
Left unrepaired, cracks will only get worse over time. Water can seep in through the cracks and cause further damage, leading to costly repairs down the road.
So if you see a crack in your stucco, don’t wait to have it repaired. The sooner you take care of it, the less damage will be done, and the less expensive the repair will be.
Improve Energy Efficiency
Cracks in stucco can also cause your home to lose heat, which can lead to higher energy bills. By having prompt stucco crack repair, you can help improve your home’s energy efficiency and keep your energy bills low. Energy costs are always rising, so anything you can do to improve your home’s energy efficiency is a good investment.
Good Choices for Stucco Crack Repair
You have a few different options when it comes to stucco crack repair. You can use caulking, polyurethane concrete crack sealant, or Quikrete stucco repair.
- Caulk: Caulk is a good option for small cracks. It’s easy to apply and dries quickly.
- Polyurethane Concrete Crack Sealant: This is a good option for larger cracks. It’s more challenging to apply, but it will last longer than caulking.
- Quikrete Stucco Repair: This is a good option for cracks that are larger than ¼ inch. It’s easy to apply and dries quickly.
A stucco patch is also an option for larger cracks. This is a more difficult repair, so it’s best to leave it to the professionals.
For exterior surface durability and to maintain the curb appeal of your home, prompt stucco crack repair is essential. By taking care of cracks as soon as they appear, you can save yourself money and headaches down the road.
Hiring a professional is always the best option when it comes to home repairs. They have the experience and knowledge to do the job right, and they can usually get it done faster than you could.
If you’re not sure how to repair the cracks in your stucco, it’s best to hire a professional. They will be able to assess the damage and recommend the best course of action.
At Old Pueblo Stucco, we have years of experience repairing stucco cracks. We know exactly what to do to get your stucco looking like new again. For your peace of mind, we are fully licensed, bonded, and insured.
We understand that many homeowners are not aware of the importance of stucco crack repair and may think that it is not necessary. However, we urge you to consider the many benefits that prompt stucco crack repair can provide.
There are many good reasons to have cracks in your stucco repaired as soon as possible, from protecting your investment to improving energy efficiency.
If you have any questions about stucco crack repair or would like to schedule an inspection, please contact us today. We would be happy to answer any of your questions and help you keep your home in tip-top shape.