The roof of your home is one of the essential components of its structure. Roofs need to be able to withstand wind, rain, snow, and extreme temperatures. With regular maintenance and preventive care, your roof should last for many years.
However, if the roof has been neglected or improperly maintained over time, it could need a coating to continue providing protection. Here are the 12 signs that tell you when it’s time for your roof to get a coating:
1. Your Electric Bill is Increasing
When your roof needs coating, it can be less able to regulate the temperature inside your home.
This means that you will have to use more energy to keep the house cool during summer and warm during winter months, resulting in a higher electric bill. By coating your roof, you can reduce your energy bills significantly.
2. Cracks in the Roof Membrane
Check for any cracks or splits in your roof’s membrane – this can be a clear sign that it needs to be recoated.
When there are cracks and crevices in the material of your roof, it can lead to water seeping into your home. This can cause severe damage to the structure of your house and be very expensive to repair.
3. Warping or Bubbling
If you notice any warping or bubbling on the surface of your roof, that could also mean it needs a coating.
Warped shingles can quickly come loose in a storm, and bubbled areas can allow moisture to seep into the layers of your roof. Both issues can be easily prevented with a recoating of the surface.
4. Fading Color
Have you noticed that the color of your roof is starting to fade? If it used to be a darker shade but now looks faded and worn out, it’s time for a new coat of paint or sealant. A fresh coating will give your roof the protection it needs and make your home look newer too!
5. You Notice Leaks
If you start to notice any leaks in your home, such as water stains on the ceiling or walls, it could be a sign that your roof needs to be recoated. Even if the leak doesn’t seem severe, coating your roof will help prevent any future leaks from appearing.
6. Missing Granules
As asphalt-based shingles age, they start to lose their granules. If your shingles are missing large patches of granules or your gutters are full of them, it’s a sign that the roof needs a coating.
7. Falling Debris
If you notice pieces of debris falling from the roof, it’s a sign that the roof is losing its protective coating. This can lead to further damage if not taken care of, so getting your roof coated as soon as possible is essential.
8. Water Damage
If you’re noticing water damage on the roof, it’s a sign that it needs to be coated. Water damage is not just leaking but also the appearance of stains on the roof surface.
This can result from poor ventilation and low-quality roof coating, which need to be addressed by recoating. The coating will help protect the roof from further water damage and help it last longer.
Your roof should last for around 20-25 years before it needs to be replaced, but if it’s been more than 20 years since it was last coated, it’s likely time for a new one. A protective coating will help your roof stay solid and weatherproof, even in old age.
10. Algae Growth
If you notice any algae or moss growing on your roof, it’s a surefire sign that the protective coating is gone and needs to be replaced. Algae can easily damage the layers of your roof and make it more prone to leaks, so take care of it as soon as possible.
If you’ve noticed any rust on the roof, it’s a sign that the roof needs to be coated. Rust can cause further damage to the roof if left unchecked, so it’s essential to take care of it quickly.
Rust can be found underneath the shingles, so it’s important to check carefully for any signs of rust. A fresh coating will help prevent further rust damage and make your roof look new.
If you’ve noticed any water pooling on the roof, it’s a sign that the roof needs to be coated.
Pooling is when the water doesn’t drain properly, and it can cause serious damage over time. A new coating will help get rid of the pooling issue, as well as protect your roof from further damage.
If you’ve noticed any of these signs, it’s crucial to take action and coat your roof. This will help protect the roof from further damage and help it last longer.
If you’re unsure how to coat your roof, you should consult a professional roofer to help you.
At Old Pueblo Stucco, we provide professional roof coating services for homes in Tucson, AZ, and the surrounding areas. We have the best roof coating services in the area, so don’t hesitate to give us a call.
Tips After Coating Your Roof
Once your roof has been coated, it’s important to take proper care of it so you won’t need to recoat again soon. As a homeowner, you should know the importance of maintaining your roofing system.
Proper care of your roofing system can help it last longer and avoid costly repairs or replacements. Here are a few tips to help you get the most out of your roof after it’s been coated.
- Inspect Regularly – Once your roof is coated, it’s important to inspect it regularly. In addition to checking for any signs of damage, you should also ensure the coating isn’t peeling or cracking. If you notice any issues, it’s best to have them looked at by a professional as soon as possible.
- Clean Up Debris – Keeping your roof clean is important. Make sure to regularly remove any debris from your roofs, such as leaves or twigs. This will help keep your roof in good condition and help you spot any potential problems quickly.
- Trim Trees and Shrubs – If you have trees or bushes near your roof, trim them regularly. This will help prevent branches from falling onto your roof and causing damage.
- Repair Damage Promptly – If you notice any damage to your roof, it’s important to repair it as soon as possible. Even minor damage can lead to bigger problems if left untreated.
- Use a Pressure Washer – If your roof looks dull, use a pressure washer to revitalize the coating. Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions to avoid damaging your roof.
- Hire a Professional – You should hire a professional at least once a year to inspect your roof and ensure it’s in good condition. A professional can spot any small issues before they become bigger problems, helping you save time and money in the long run.
Contact Old Pueblo Stucco Today!
If you’re experiencing any of the abovementioned problems, it may be time for a roof coating. A roof coating can help to protect your roof from further damage and extend its lifespan. Contact us today to learn more about our roof coatings and how they can benefit your home.